Sunday, April 12, 2009

On Being An Aunt

Wait a minute, are her breasts bigger than mine?--I thought to myself as my 14 year old niece walked towards me. Okay, truthfully, I'm an A-B girl, so having larger breasts than mine is almost inevitable. But, still this is the same little girl who would meet me at the door jumping up and down when I came to visit--the same little girl who would cry uncontrollably when I left.

Now she is this stoic, texting, mp3 carrying teenager, with a Posh Spice haircut. She is the same age as the kids that I teach. I knew she was going to grow up, in fact I remember when she was 3 years old and she was starting to outgrow that "pick-me up and carry me" stage. And on this particular day, she was afraid of something, so I picked her up and I told her, "One day I wont be able to pick you up."
"Why?" She asked with 3 year old sincerity. She was upset, perplexed, and hurt at that thought.
Like I said, I knew she was going to grow up, I just didnt know it would be the minute I turned my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment