Monday, April 6, 2009

I came in 8076th place!

When the finish line at the Cherry Blossom's 10 miler came into view, it was a rare moment when dreams met reallity and then coexisted for a moment in time. I had been running for 2 hours and 8 minutes and for some reason, and even though I saw the signs that I was getting closer to the finish line, I wasnt expecting to see it at that exact moment.

I had been planning for the race since November, but deep down inside (and not so deep down inside) I never really thought I would go through with it. After all, I am the queen of starting things and not finishing them.

I have registered and paid for races AND never showed up. I started Team in Training and dropped out before the first practice. I have spent hundreds of dollars on classes like, Computer Programming and Spanish that I started but never finished. And the Christmas before last, I thought I would like to be a photographer, so I dropped 700 dollars on a camera and enrolled in a course (which I dropped).

I could go on and on, but I'm guessing you can see the trend by now. And up until this particular finish line, I was starting to wonder if I would ever finish anything. This race restored my confidence.

I may not always finish things that I start, but at least I have the ambition to try new things and the intelligence to quit them when they arent working out. And if I try enough things, Ill inevitably follow through with some of them.

So right now, I am working on a Young Adult Fiction book and a Ninth Grade English workbook. And I am thinking about tutoring this summer and/or teaching online. I also want to learn how to draw. And oh yeah, if I have the money, and if I can get over my fear of flying, maybe Ill run the Chicago Half Marathon in the fall...

No comments:

Post a Comment