Friday, January 16, 2009

I just paid $1,600 for my car, and I'm okay with that!

Several weeks ago, I noticed that when my 2003 Toyota Corolla got over 35 mph, the sound it made had a striking resemblance to an airplane taking off. For a few weeks, I tried to ignore it by turning up the radio. To add insult to injury, when I stopped at a stoplight, it shook nervously like a scared kitty.

Finally, I resolved to take it to the shop (the Toyota Dealer) , something I hadn't done in the six years that I had owned the car. (The only thing that I had done was get my oil changed.) So I drove the car to the dealer and waited anxiously for the call. When I finally got the call, the customer service rep. listed 15 things that were wrong with my car. "And that will cost you between $2,000 and $2,200 m'am", he said. I responded with silence. When I finally got my voice back, I chosee the things like tires, wheel baring, battery, brakes that actually needed fixing right now. I said I would put off the transmission flush until the summer when I had the money.

After I got over the SHOCK of paying $1,600 for my car, I actually saw it as a blessing. I felt blessed because:
1. I probably won't need to purchase a car for several more years,
which means: No New Car Payment!
2. I can pay off the $1,600 (that I charged to my credit card) in just
a few months.
3. My car drives like a dream.
4. Personal transportation EQUALS freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment