Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Am I My Brother's Keeper?

I am a Christian, and I believe in tithing--giving 10% of your salary to the church and/or to people in need. Notice I said believe. I don't always do this, there are some months that I get so busy that I "forget" to write that check.

Well, for that past several months, I kept "forgetting" to donate to my favorite charity--the local rescue mission. Until finally, yesterday I begrudingly donated $300.00 to the rescue mission. I paid online and as soon as I hit the submit button, I felt a sense of relief. I thought I would miss the 300 dollars, but I didn't really.

I feel that I have been blessed with a job and the 300.00 to give. There are many people who are just as talented, just as educated as I am, but who find themselves in need. And I think that it is wrong of me to see people in need, and not do anything about it. What if it were me? What if I were the one in need? Wouldn't I want someone to help me? Yes. Yes and Yes. And to answer the age old question, "Yes I am my brother's keeper."

No comments:

Post a Comment